Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Foodie word of the week?


It's a working title okay. I told you I didn't think I could commit to a new word every day but I am going do my best to post a word as often as I can.  Remember if there is a foodie word or term you want the definition let me know and I'll post it.  
Today's word is for all my peeps in my home town of Albuquerque, New Mexico. The hardest thing about living in California is not the gas prices. It's not being able to get these delicious treat accompany every Mexican food meal. The word of the day/week/month is....

Sopaipilla -[soh-pi-PEE-yuh] This crisp, puffy deep-fried pastry resembles an air-filled pillow. The sopapaipilla is thought to have orginiated in Albuquerque, New Mexico, more than 200 years ago. It's a favorite Southwestern U.S. dessert, usually served with honey or syrup flavored with anise or cinnamon. Sopaipillas are also sometimes filled with savory ingredients like Refied Beans.
Kim's note they are also great stuffed with beef and red chile! New Mexican's leave a comment with your favorite place to get a good Sopaipilla. Since I no longer reside there I think it would be unfair for me to weigh in. To be perfectly honest, I miss them so much that all Sopaipillas are good to me these days. :)

1 comment:

FlyingDog said...

Two great places to get them in Santa Fe: Maria's on Córdova and Castro's on Cerrillos Rd.

In Albuquerque you can get them at the Range Cafe - a few locations there (locally owned restaurants).

I recommend all these places for their other food as well.