Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Over complication

Tonight I am attending a birthday dinner for a friend if mine. I was asked to bring dessert. 

No big deal, I bake all the time, I totally got this! That what I thought  until I started obsessing over what to make! First I thought I'll bake my famous carrot cake. Then I thought oh! I know I'll make the Texas Sheet Cake I've been wanting to try. Then, I realized the sheet cake was a little too rustic and it's huge! I wanted to do something pretty, since it is a birthday cake. 

So I scratched the sheet cake idea and went back to carrot cake. Sunday night I started thinking I really don't want to make a carrot cake. I don't feel like going through the hassle of icing and decorating the cake. Plus worrying about making sure that the cake doesn't get messed up in transport to the party.

So I had the brilliant idea of making a bundt cake. It's pretty, easy to make and transport in the car, and it requires very little icing or decoration. Problem solved, bundt cake  it is!

All I needed now was a recipe. Which should be no problem considering I have dozens of cookbooks, most of which are dedicated to baking.

This is where the crazy set in! I knew I wanted to make a bundt cake. Not just any old bundt cake would do. It had to be in my opinion the very best bundt cake in the history of bundt cakes. It had to be moist and rich, and packed with great lemony or citrus flavor.

As I went through recipe after recipe I got frustrated none of them seem to have that wow factor I was looking for. I was about to go down the rabbit hole of google searching recipes, when Amanda called.

I explained to her that I spent the better part of an hour looking for the perfect cake recipe. Then I realized how nuts I sounded! I picked the bundt cake because I wanted something easy. I didn't want to be stressed out over baking a cake.

But, here I was stressing myself out anyway. So I went back to the first cookbook I opened and found a simple easy lemon bundt cake and told myself I'll make this recipe end of story. Done.

I was wrong, not done. My mother called and I told her i was going to make the lemon cake. She suggested I bake a 7up cake. That sent me on a whole new hunt for the perfect 7up cake. So by 8:00 pm last night I finally! Finally! Found the recipe I wanted. Made myself put down the iPad and stop the madness.

I am happy to report that the cake is in the oven baking as I type. The moral of story here even when I am trying to make  something easy or simple. I always find a way to over complicate it. Over think it,  and analyze it to death! If I go this crazy over a simple bundt cake, you can only imagine how crazy I can become over other decisions I have to make day to day.

I am taking this whole cake situation as a lesson, in not making things harder on myself then they should be. Simple is good and there is such a thing as having access to too much information!




No comments: