Monday, June 17, 2013

Still going strong

It's the beginning of week three of the TV diet and I am still going strong. The urge to turn on the TV first thing in the morning is less and less. The hardest times for me to resist watching TV are the afternoons between 3:30 - 5:00 pm I called this the "witching hour" this is the time of day where the temptation to turn on the tube is at its highest! I think this is because my day is winding down by this point. I've usually gone to the gym, and done other errands or chores and just want to relax. I've been able to resist the temptation thus far!

Enough about the diet. I have been working on other things besides my TV viewing habits. For instance I went to a book signing to meet one of my favorite authors last week Jennifer Lancaster. She is most known for her funny memoirs about her life. Her latest book is called the Tao of Martha, where Jen spends an entire year living by Martha Stewart's dictates in an effort to create happiness in her own life.

As someone who loves Ina Garten and who used to watch Martha Stewart every morning before class in college this book was right up my alley! I subscribe to Living magazine and have at least three Martha Stewart cookbooks. I also own all but one Ina Garten cookbook. So I found it fascinating to read about someone who spend a year trying to live like Martha Stewart does.

Oh in the past couple of weeks I've managed to become obsessed with Texas Sheet Cake. I first read about it on the Pioneer woman's blog, then Jennifer Lancaster posted about baking one on facebook. Then while talking to a friend she told me she was having one for her fathers day BBQ. I was raised by Texans and never in my life heard about Texas Sheet cake until now. I think its a sign from the universe that I must bake this cake because I've heard about it at least three times in one month.

I've of course been researching the best recipes for this cake and my friend sent me hers. So I have a feeling Texas sheet will be in my very near future. Along with some other baking bucket list projects I have in the queue. I am really excited about this summer I have a feeling its going to be a good one. Since I've turned off the TV I'll have more time to get out there and enjoy it!

No comments: