Monday, April 7, 2008

Cupcake Interrupted!


I would love to say that every time I bake or cook it comes out perfect and delicious every time. However I would be lying if I did. Sometimes despite my very best efforts I cook something thats less then amazing shocking I know. 
For example the cupcake you see above is just one example of how food doesn't always come out as planned.  The cupcake above is a Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting. I got the recipe from one of my food idols Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa). I first saw this recipe on her food network show and then when I got her cook book I just knew I had to make them. Every other recipe I've tried of hers has come out great. But there is a first time for everything. 
Where did I go wrong?! Though the frosting turned out great, the cupcake its self was a little off. The cake tasted bitter, reminded me of that unsweetened bakers chocolate. Now I followed the recipe too the letter. But I think where I went wrong was my choice in coco powder. I always try to use the best ingredients in my desserts (with in my budget) so I got this really high end coco powder and not the brand I usually buy, and the result bitter cupcake! 
I was disappointed, because I really wanted to love these cupcakes! I spent all week day dreaming about they way they would taste. My reality check bounced big time on this one.
It stands as a reminder that to be a good cook, like anything else you have to practice to get better. So this isn't the last this recipe has seen of me! I'll try it again, and I am sure the next time will be the success I dreamt of! 
So the moral of this story is, if at first you don't succeed try, try again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No big deal. I dont even have the nerve to bake, it requires too much attention. You can always send me your mistakes in the mail. :]

Unknown said...

Don't steel my baked goods mama.
:-o