Thursday, April 17, 2008

Kitchen Spaz

I love to cook, and as I’ve shared in previous post I love the food network and cookbooks. So when I do get in the kitchen I am super excited and can’t wait to start cooking and see the finished product.
You may be wondering okay so what’s the big deal you like to cook and eat. Well I have notice that I can be a bit of spaz. Now, people have called me a spaz before about my driving (thanks Mom). Lately, I started to notice that when I cook I tend to get overly excited and rush things.
Since I watch so much food network, I am under the delusion that every meal no matter how intricate can be done and on the table in thirty minutes. So I find myself rushing around the kitchen like a crazy woman. I am dropping things, forgetting ingredients dropping F bombs left and right. The other night I sent a clove of garlic flying across the kitchen when I was smashing it with my knife.Now my peaceful kitchen time has become stressful.
However, I am determined to get this dish on the table no matter what; and 9 times out of ten it’s a success. I am very happy with the results and peace is restored to the universe. The other day I was in the kitchen and felt my inner spaz starting come out and heard the words of a dear friend in my head. “You should have fun when you cook, if it stops being fun then get another glass of wine!” These words have stuck with me and when I find myself in a tale spin in the kitchen. I stop tell myself Kimberly you are not a world class chef and you are not cooking for the James Beard award. Calm down and enjoy the process!
So, now I am not so concerned with absolute perfection and getting it done in record time. I really enjoy the process of cooking, I turn on my favorite music and maybe have a glass or two of wine and just enjoy the process. Don’t get me wrong I am still nowhere near being a blissed out zen master in the kitchen, I am too type A for that. I think I’ll always be a spaz(I am that girl) in some way or another it’s just how I get when I am excited and love what am doing. So when I am a spaz in the kitchen it just reminds me that I am doing something that I really love and that really excites me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im glad to hear you're making real meals. Let me know when you get at least 2 weeks of meals (no repeats) worked out. You offered me a nice relaxing vacation for me and Lola, but then you slipped in how I could have dinner ready when you get home. This may be your "foodie" idea of a vacation, but for me "not so much". Keep cooking!