Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chino Farms





A couple of weeks ago I was talking with  a co-worker and she mentioned that her boyfriend is a personal chef. Instantly my ears perked up. She was telling me how he took her to this amazing produce stand near my neighborhood. I then went on to tell her how I love to cook and always looking for fresh hard to find ingredients.
She then said to me if you love food you HAVE to check this place out. She said foodies from all over the city come to this produce stand. And she wasn't kidding! I googled this place and read that some of the best chefs in San Diego come here every day to buy their produce. 
After talking to her and doing my own research I knew this is a place I just had to see for my self. So last Saturday I woke up with one thing in mind Chino Farms! Cory and I got up and got dressed usually we go to breakfast first thing on Saturdays. But not today I was on a mission! First stop Chino Farms!
When we pull up, it's this little stand on this huge farm. I thought is this it? There has to be more. As I learned never judge a produce stand by it's size. When I got out of the car I could smell the fresh produce and herbs. As I approached the stand a man who was leaving yells over to me "You have to buy the strawberries!" I was like huh? There are strawberries here? He said yes in the front row they are the best. 
Now since living in California I have become a strawberry snob there is a great little strawberry field down the street from my home that I've been buying from for the last three years! As much as I love those strawberries the ones I purchased at Chino Farms were the best I've tasted in my life!
They had two varieties of strawberries California and French. I had heard about french strawberries but never tried them. They are smaller and sweeter than the Californian. The sales person told me if you've never had a french strawberry then you have to buy these you'll love them. So I bought both the French and California. I have to say she was right, the French Strawberry is the best I've ever eaten! I had to stop myself from eating them all in the car.  
Besides the strawberries they had more varieties of carrots than I knew existed. You name the vegetable and it was there! The other cool thing is that all the produce they sell is grown locally right there on the farm!
Needless to say Chino Farms hasn't seen the last of me! If you live in the San Diego area check it out. If you don't go on your own adventure and visit your local farmers market! You never know what food treasures you might find!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This place looks great.I can't wait to come out there so you can take me. We have open markets in Albuquerque but people her think you have to leave the dirt on the food to proove that it didn't come from the store, hippies. I'll send you pictures of my veggies (minus the dirt)when my garden starts to thrive. I love making dinner out of things in my own back yard.
MOM\sister

Anonymous said...

That place looks amazing! I bet they have some wicked awesome tomatoes!! MMMMMMMM. You must take me there!