Thursday, May 29, 2008

Girls Night


Unless you've been living on another planet for the last two months you know that the Sex and The City movie is opening this weekend.
To mark this very special occasion I've invited my peeps over for a cocktail party followed by going to the movies! Of course I will be making my killer cosmos (limit 2 per person) and I will have lots of New York themed snacks on hand.
I am really new at "entertaining" people at my house. I will be honest I love the thought of having friends over. But the reality freaks me out. As soon as I send out the invitation my mind starts spinning! What am I going to serve? What if they don't like it? Is my house clean enough? What if we run out of things to say? None of my dishes match! Will people care if all my wine lahave logos from wineries on them?
I have Friends who are fabulous at entertaining who make whipping up a cocktail party for eight look as easy as ordering pizza and watching a DVD! When you arrive at their homes they are laid back and relaxed and everything is laid out beautifully. I wish I had that gene!
It dawned on me that maybe I could be a good hostess too! That maybe the more parties I throw the better I'll be at it, the more comfortable I will become. And maybe, just maybe one day I do will be one those effortless hostess.
But until then I am still a neurotic mess! I am still freaking out about the fact that I don't have any serving ware! My house looks like a tornado went through it! How I am going to time all the food so it's hot and ready when guest arrive. What if a there is a terrorist attack you know the normal stuff.
As Cory would tell me I need to calm the f down! And I will, I have noticed that once my friends arrive and cocktails start flowing (booze helps a lot!) I relax and just enjoy my guest. I realize that these are my friends and they don't care that I am serving them on mix matched plates and that I got 90% of my stemware for free from wineries. And if they did would I really want them to be my friends?
What matters is that the food is good, the booze is free and that we have laugh until our sides hurt. So now that I've had my little panic attack I am ready! I can't wait to see my girls, have a cocktail and enjoy a really good movie!

No comments: