Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Food for thought

It's Wednesday, and as most of my foodie lovers know. Wednesday is the day that the New York Times runs it's dining in/out section in their paper. I love reading this every week. It features great recipes, and I the articles keep me up to date on what's going on in the food world.
The highlight of my week is reading this section, its my escape into the world of food which is my happy place.
This week was different, this week after reading the article Love Food? Think twice Before Jumping In . I felt like my reality check had just bounced! The article is a cautionary tale of starting your own restaurant.
Its purpose to warn those who have dreams of leaving their day jobs in search of a glamorous career in restaurant ownership. The message is don't quit your day job! Which I understand, there is a very harsh reality that people need to know before starting your own business. The article is right not everyone is going to have the success of Ina Garten or Paula Dean.
But one think I know for sure you'll never succeed at your passion if you don't try! Everything in life is a risk. Who to say that your "day job" will be there tomorrow. Nothing is guaranteed in this life.
I felt like that article was talking to me, saying hey cubicle girl wake up and realize that your dream of running some sort of food based business (haven't figured out what I want to do yet, but taking suggestions) is just that a pipe dream. I was pissed off and sad and felt trapped!
But what I realized, that I do know for sure. Is your dreams will never come true if you don't follow them. It's like hoping to win the lottery yet never buying a ticket! Where would Ina and Paula be if they hadn't followed their passion? What if they listened to everyone and every statistic that said that their dream was doomed to fail?
I think I'd rather try and fail, then leave a life of regret wondering what if? When, I do figure out my food calling (besides just eating) I hope I have the courage to pick up the phone.

No comments: