Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year, new pantry

Happy New Year EVERYONE!!!

We are seven days into 2009, and I've made a couple of resolutions. I wont bore you with all the details. One of them is to be more organized and eliminate clutter. One place I really want to focus on getting organized is my kitchen!

This morning I was reading the NYTimes food section like I do every Wednesday and came across this great article on stocking your kitchen for the new year. It outlines the items you should throw out and what you should replace them with.

Some of the items like getting rid of bottled lemon juice and using fresh lemons I all ready knew. But, things like how do buy fresh vanilla beans online instead of using extract were tips I could really use. Another one for example is throwing out all spices that you have had for a year or longer. I am going to purge my spice rack and go out and buy fresh new spices for the new year.

I've notice that Cory and I have the really bad habit of buying groceries we've all ready have. Which leads to a lot of food being thrown out or not eaten. So I want to clean out my cabinets freezer and fridge. That way we know what we have and what we need. I also want to actually write a grocery list.

We go shop for food every week but mostly we shop from memory, bad idea! So once the kitchen is cleaned out we can go in every week and take an accurate inventory of what we need. Plus it will inspire me to cook with what we have so I don't waste it.

Plus this article gives really good points on how to eat real whole foods instead for processed imitation food. If you have a minute read the article, link below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07mini.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

No comments: