Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Checking in from the Land of Enchantment

This week I am in my hometown of Albuquerque, I am here for a week to visit family and help my mother with some household projects. You maybe asking yourself hey, what about the cooking challenge?! No need to fear I am still doing the challenge. I was going to try and do it while in New Mexico but I am not sure if I'll have the time. I promise the second I land back in Cali its on! 
I have to say my first week of the challenge was a lot of of fun! I really enjoyed making new dishes and cooking outside of my comfort zone. I also realized I'd spent too many years not cooking extravagant meals or challenging dishes because I was under the strange belief that I needed a better/bigger kitchen. Silly, I know but that's how I thought. Then it hit me, that nowhere in any recipe does it say, start with a big kitchen. All I really needed was an oven and the ingredients. 
After last week I finally stopped resenting my kitchen and I started to enjoy it. I stopped seeing all the limitations in space and started working with what I had. It was really fun! The moral of the story for me is, instead of waiting to enjoy cooking until I have my dream kitchen. I can enjoy the kitchen I have now and make amazing food. Because really life is happening now! Not sometime in the distant future that may or may not come.
I'll tell you I already miss my little kitchen and I am looking forward to getting back home and getting back to work on my cooking challenge! For now I am going to enjoy much needed time with my family and some awesome New Mexican food!

No comments: