Friday, September 11, 2009

Cooking outside of the box

In an effort to eat healthier, I have been trying to avoid processed food. When it comes to baking I rarely use mixes or pre-made desserts. Last week a friend of mine was telling me how much she likes to make instant pudding for dessert.

It reminded me that I haven’t had chocolate pudding in years. Then this week I came across a recipe for chocolate pudding pie. It was like the universe was telling me I needed to make pudding.

I have never made or eaten pudding that wasn’t from a box or those little snack cups. I watched Martha Stewart make it from scratch once. In true Martha fashion it was complicated. The recipe for the pudding in the pie was pretty simple and funny thing is I had all but two ingredients all ready at home.

As a treat I cooked dinner and made homemade pudding from scratch. I was shocked at how simple pudding is make. The key is to keep whisking it while it’s on the stove until it thickens to make sure you do not get any lumps. I used a really good quality chocolate. The final result was so smooth and decadent. It was the best pudding I have ever had. It was richer and creamer then the stuff in the box. The chocolate flavor was intense. The best part is it only takes 15 minutes and you’ve got a wonderful dessert.

If you want to dress it up for company and you have time. Make some homemade whipped cream and layer in glass with the pudding. This is an easy weeknight dessert and a classic childhood treat. Now that I know how easy it is I will never make pudding from a box again!

No comments: