Thursday, September 17, 2009

Food TV For the Soul

This week I have been a little under weather. I don't know if I am sick, getting sick or getting over being sick. But whatever is has me at less then an 100%. What makes it worse is I am 800 miles from my family. If I were home and not feeling well my grandfather would make me his famous potato soup with bacon.My mom would bring me dinner and sit with me on the couch.

So whenever I am not feeling well I get really homesick. This afternoon, I did the one thing I thought would make me feel better. I turned on the Food Network. I watched Giada make stuffed shells along with this wonderful looking baked chocolate pudding. Then my favorite show came on the Barefoot Contessa.

Something about Ina Garten's voice just makes me feel better. Watching her pour ingredients into her Kitchen Aide has a calming effect on me. I didn't want the half hour to end. Then Down home with the Neely's came on, Pat and Gina laughing and having fun in the kitchen helped get me out of my funk.

To finish my afternoon of comforting food TV Paula Dean show was on. Today she made chicken fried steak biscuits and gravy! When Paula cooks you can feel the love she puts into each dish and how much she truly loves cooking and eating. Biscuits and gravy are my grandfathers specialty so it was as close to him as I could get today. Food Network was just what the doctor ordered. I can't wait to feel better so I can get in my own kitchen and whip up some comfort food!

No comments: