Saturday, October 3, 2009

When life gives you apples, make apple cake!

It's official summer is over and fall is here. With fall comes apple season. My favorite apples are champagne apples from Dixon's Apple farm in New Mexico. You know its fall in New Mexico when you can smell the green chile roasting, and Dixon's apples are for sale.
They are the only orchard that grows champagne apples. Which are green on the outside, but have a sweet crisps taste. I haven't had these apples since I moved away five years ago. But this year my mom sent me a bag full of them.
I LOVE these apples, but there are still too many apples for me and cory to eat by ourselves. So I decided to make apple cake. My grandmother makes awesome apple cake in the fall and it always reminds me of home.
I decided to make one for my friends and I was surprised how easy and tasty the recipe was. What I liked most about this cake is the smell of it while it cooks. It made the whole house smell like warm cinnamon and apples!
I served the cake with fresh made whipped cream and it was a hit with my friends and Cory. In fact Cory has demanded that I make another this week. Since we still have a lot of apples I will be baking another one tomorrow. So even though summer is over and the days are getting shorter. I can pull out some of my favorite fall comfort foods, like chile and apple cake!

No comments: