Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Check it out!

Its no secret that I LOVE cookbooks! Every time I go the bookstore I find at least five new cookbooks that I want/need. I have learned over the years that some cookbooks I will use and will go back to time and time again and some I will look at the pretty pictures and read the descriptions, but never really cook out of.

I also learned that collecting cookbooks that I don't use is an expensive habit and they take up a lot of space in a small apartment. One day a couple year ago I discovered something amazing. Cory wanted to go the library in our neighborhood. I am think snooze! Who goes the library anymore? They can't have any good or current books?  Oh how wrong I was!

That day I discovered that my local library has cookbooks! Not just old outdated cookbooks, but newly released cookbooks by really great cooks and chefs. I was so excited because now I could check out any cookbook I had my eye on. Take it home find the recipes I wanted make a copy and take the book back.

It was the answer to all my cookbook prayers. I didn't have to spend a small fortune amassing a great collection of recipes. If I got the book and didn't like or the recipes didn't work I could take back and not have it taking up valuable shelf space. The other wonderful thing about checking out cookbooks from the library is that most people don't put cookbooks on hold which means I can keep renewing it until my hearts content.

Confession, I kept one cookbook on chocolate for six months! That's ok, because as long as I renewed it I could have it as long as I wanted! Now before I buy a cookbook, I try to check it out at the library first. I see if I like it, if the recipes are good, and If I like it I'll go buy it.

I see the library as a way to test drive a cookbook before you buy it. If your a cookbook junky like me. The library is a great place to get your fix!

No comments: