Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Adult Grilled Cheese by Sonya!

Last night I was looking at facebook and BAM! My friend Sonya posted about what she made for dinner. She made grilled cheese, not just any grilled cheese but a grilled cheese sandwich featuring honey ham and grilled onions.
I commented that Sonya should right a guest post for the blog about her awesome grilled cheese sandwich. To my delight she said yes! I am happy to be able to share with you Adult Grilled Cheese by Sonya!

    • As I reflect on my youth, I often think of the staples in my mom's kitchen specifically on cold days. I can still taste the green chile stew and of course, grilled cheese.
      Now as an adult and wife I now have my own kitchen. Sadly, I don't use the facility as much as I should but on Sunday night I decided that now that the weather is getting colder, I should make grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner but I didn't want to eat just any grilled cheese sandwich, I wanted to make Croque Monsieurs which is just a fancy name for grilled cheese sandwiches. In order to make the grilled cheese sandwich stand up to it's french "Oooh La La" name, I decided to liven it up. 
    • Starting with a purple onion, I sliced it into rings. I then sliced up two cloves of garlic. While I was preparing the onion and garlic, the stove was heating up a long griddle pan. This pan had already been swirled with EVOO. When the temperature was just right, I placed the onions and garlic on the griddle and began to grill them up. I then chopped up honey ham and as the onions became softer, I placed the chopped ham on the griddle as well. I then added dried rosemary to the mixture of onions, garlic and ham. As the mixture continued to cook, I took two pieces of bread and squirted them with butter on one side. I laid them down on the unused parts of the griddle and let them toast. While the sides of the bread are being toasted, I took some 60% milk fat brie cheese and cut a few thick chunks. I took the chunks and hand molded them into thick pliable pieces that would nicely sit over the slice of bread. I then placed the brie on the bread. As it began to lightly melt, I put the ham, onion, garlic and rosemary mixture onto each of the two pieces of bread. I then buttered another two pieces of bread, put them on the griddle to start toasting. I took the original two pieces of bread with the cheese and goodies on it and flipped them on the new two pieces of bread. After about a minute or two, the Croque Monsieurs are finished.

      An adult grilled cheese for a chilly fall night 
  • Thank you Sonya for the great guest post!
    P.S. After Sonya made this dinner, her husband baked her oatmeal cookies! That's my idea of a good night!

No comments: