Monday, October 10, 2011

Stressful Samosa's

I decided to end Indian week with Samosas, it seemed easy enough. I found a recipe that I could bake in the oven instead of frying and I thought this should be a breeze! Man, how wrong I was. These samosa's turned out to be the most challenging dish of the week. I was determined to see it through  and I did.

The start of the Samosas was easy, peel some potatoes and cut them up into cubes.

After I chopped the onions I chopped two cups of onions.
After the potatoes and onions are chopped I heat up a pan and add a quarter cup of vegetable oil then add the onions.



Still really easy no problems at all. now its time to add the spices. I sprinkled in one teaspoon coriander, cumin seeds and garham masala. I let this cook for a few minutes then add in the potatoes. that I previously boiled until tender. I also added some frozen peas.
Now this is when it starts to get ugly. Once the samosa filling is finished its time to fill and fold the somasa's
As I stated earlier the recipe I found called for the samosa's to be backed in filo dough instead of fried. I thawed the dough and laid it under a damp towel per the instructions. That did not stop the filo from drying out and ripping on me every time I picked it up. Once I did get it to the work surface I had the worst time figuring out how to to fold it into neat little triangles.


As you can see from the picture above I didn't get the desired triangle shape at first. I kept at it and eventually I got the hang of it. I say eventually after me swearing and almost driving my husband to insanity because the filo kept falling apart and my samosa's looked like hokey pucks! I stayed with it and I got these beauties.

Once I FINALLY got the damn things stuffed and folded they go in the oven to bake for twenty-five minutes. Mid way threw the baking flip them over and cook until they are that beautiful golden brown. After a lot of sweat and four letter words, it was time to eat.
I served the Samosa's with a store bought mango chutney and they were pretty good if I do say so myself. Hey by the time I ate them I was so tired and frustrated anything could have tasted good. Cory did say he liked them and ate them for lunch the next day so I guess that's a good sign.
All in all Indian food week was interesting. I discovered I don't hate Indian food the way I thought I did and I am more open to trying different Indian dishes. I will say that when the week was over I was craving a hamburger something fierce so we on Friday night we had burgers for dinner. I am glad I stepped out of my comfort zone.
I am now prepared for all the future cuisines I'll be cooking throughout this process.

No comments: