Saturday, October 15, 2011

Not your typical Gnocchi

I am a big fan of gnocchi, its one of my favorite Italian dishes. I knew that for a week of Italian food I would be making some type of gnocchi. I stumbled on this recipe for ricotta and spinach gnocchi, it was intrigued. I thought this sounds yummy! I am going to try it.

FYI- these "gnocchi" are super easy to make would be a nice appetizer.

To start, I defrosted a one pound chopped frozen spinach. To extract as much water as possible from the spinach I use a clean dish towel and put the spinach in the towel and ring it out until most of the liquid is out of the spinach. I combined the drained spinach with a cup and a half of ricotta cheese, two egg yolks and Parmesan cheese and stir!

Now the messy part. I had to take this mixture and make little balls out of it. Then coat those balls lightly in flour.

Pretty huh?! Now I put these balls a few at a time into boiling water until they start to float to the surface then they are ready and they look like this!


To serve I melted a stick of butter and drizzled it over the gnocchi then added some fresh Parmesan cheese, like so.

Now once I was half way through making this I realized this isn't going to be enough food to constitute dinner. So put together a nice little meat and cheese plate to go with the meal. It turned to be a nice meal.

To be honest this not the gnocchi I was expecting. I am use to the more dumpling style gnocchi. It was fun to try something different. On the upside its a great way to get a serving of veggies in you meal. I think I want to try a more traditional gnocchi next time.

No comments: