Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My first Tortilla making attempt

I've eaten hundreds if not thousands of tortillas in my in my lifetime. Yet, I've never tried to make them myself. I've watched other people make them but never really thought of trying it myself. That all changed this week! Last night I made my first ever from scratch flour tortillas.

To my surprise Tortillas are really easy to make and take very few ingredients. To start I put four cups of flour into my mixing bowl.

The next ingredient is the most important ingredient and that is lard. Yep that's right good old fashioned fresh lard. When I say fresh I do not mean the stuff on the grocery store shelves that come tubs or logs. I mean freshly render pig fat from the butcher. Lucky for me I live near a Mexican meat market and they had plenty of fresh lard on hand for me to buy.


The lard gives the tortillas that soft smooth texture. Its the perfect fat for tortillas. After the lard I just added a dash of salt and a cup of water. Once all the ingredients were in the mixer I turned it on and let it mix for about five minutes.

I let the dough mix until it started to pull away from the bowl and come together in a ball. Now I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for one hour.
Once the dough has rested I put it on a well floured surface. Then devided the dough into eight balls.

Here's were it started to get tricky. Now I had to roll the dough out into a circle. I found rolling out dough into a nice circle is harder than it seemed. So my tortillas came out a little irregular shapped.



Now its time to cook the tortillas. I heated my cast iron skillet and cooked the tortillas until they started to bubble then flipped it over and continue to cook on the other side. 



Now nothing left to do but eat! I love fresh hot tortillas especially with butter and honey. That is good eating! 
Even though they were perfectly round they were perfectly good! Now I just need some red chile and beans to eat with them. 
Have I mentioned I love Mexican food week?

No comments: