Thursday, October 20, 2011

Easy as 1-2-3 Thai beef stew

I've spent the majority of this week stressing myself out over cooking Thai food. I was totally convinced that Thai food would be complicated and hard to make. Wow was I wrong! The recipe I made today could not have been more simple. In fact the actual active time to make this dish was only 10 minutes.

Thai Beef Stew is the easiest recipe I've executed thus far in this challenge. Its a great one pot meal that requires very little effort.

First I put in pound beef stew meat cut up in cubes into my crockpot. This dish can be made on the stove or in a crockpot. If you cook it on the stove it only takes two hours to make it.



Then I added one cinnamon stick, one bay leaf, two tablespoons of sugar and two star anise to the pot.



after all the spices are in its time to add the soy sauce, not just one soy sauce but two different kinds of soy sauce. I was really shocked when I saw that the recipe called for seven tablespoons of soy sauce! I though man this is going to be way too salty. I trusted the recipe and added two tablespoons of dark sweet soy sauce and five tablespoons of regular soy sauce.
Then I added one stalk of celery, the great part is I didn't even have to chop it up. I just had to break it in half and throw it in the pot. Seriously the easiest dish to to make. After celery was in I poured in two cups of water, then put the lid on and let it cook for about 3-4 hours.

Fast forward a few hours and I was ready to eat! I paired this stew with rice noodles and lots of fun garnishes. The recipe suggested, bean sprouts, green onion, garlic and cilantro. I put all of these in my stew except the garlic (I forgot about it). It turned to be a really nice satisfying soup! The broth was rich with lots of flavor. It wasn't salty at all I was surprised at how balanced all the flavors were.
To night I faced and my fear and realized I had no reason to be worried at all.

No comments: