Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sad Day! Whole Foods Let me down

I woke up excited today. Because tonight I was going to make my first Italian recipe for Italian week! As I looked through the cookbook trying to figure out what recipe to make. I didn't bother to worry if I would be able to find the ingredients. In my heart I know my Whole Foods would have what I needed. The last two weeks of the challenge Whole Foods as always had whatever ingredients I needed no matter how simple or exotic.
Today when the cashier asked "did you find everything you need today?" I had to sadly reply no. The cashier looked taken aback by this response. Because like myself he was used to Whole Foods always satisfying the needs of its customers. I would have been ok if I couldn't get one ingredient there but it was two very crucial ingredients they didn't carry.
I needed bucatini pasta and fresh procini mushrooms. I drew a blank on both at Whole Foods. To their credit they did have dried procini mushrooms in the gourmet cheese section. When I asked the clerk, why they didn't have fresh he replied " fresh procini are expensive". I looked at him like do you realize where you work. Its Whole Foods people expect to food to be expensive here! Heck it doesn' have the nick name whole paycheck for nothing! I let it go, because I did  need dried mushrooms  as well as fresh for the recipe.
The pasta however was a huge disappointment, the pasta aisle had every kind of organic artisan pasta I could think of, except for the one that I needed. When I told the cashier this he seemed shocked too. Nonetheless could offer no explain and more importantly could offer me no bucatini.
So I gathered my bags with the ingredients I could find, and headed to another grocery store. I looked in vein for bucatini pasta and procini mushrooms to come up empty handed again. I did find some substitutions and froged ahead with making my dish.
I know in the grand scheme of things Whole Foods not having everything I needed isn't a big deal. The meal turned out ok without the ingredients. It was still disappointing, and a lesson to do a little research before I go out ingredient shopping. I learned today not to put all my eggs in a Whole Food basket!

No comments: